DEVRY SMITH FRANK LLP
95 Barber Greene Road, Suite 100
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3C 3E9
Tel : 416-449-1400 | Fax: 416-449-7071
85 Bayfield Street, 3rd Floor
Barrie, Ontario, Canada L4M 3A7
Whitby, Ontario, Canada L1N 7H8
Tel: 289-638-3171| Fax: 1-844-449-7071
Called to the bar in 1979
Lorne graduated from the University of Manitoba in 1974 with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Studies and obtained his law degree from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1977. He was called to the Ontario bar in 1979.
Lorne strives to get to know his clients' businesses, enabling him to take big picture client issues into consideration and provide prompt, practical and creative advice on the most effective solutions available. His network of contacts throughout the GTA help him stay current with market developments and apply real world knowledge to assist his clients. Lorne enjoys structuring business deals and working with clients to add value and optimize opportunities.
In addition to his corporate and commercial work, much of Lorne's practice is in commercial real estate, acting for clients in leasing, mortgage refinancing and the purchase and sale of apartment buildings, plazas and commercial property. He has extensive experience in condominium development and management issues and the conversion of residential apartments to condominium status.
In recent transactions, Lorne has acted with respect to:
- The sale of Canada’s second largest trailer park portfolio to a subsidiary of a U.S. REIT
- The financing of the acquisition of 28 acres of environmentally contaminated land in downtown Toronto for a large scale redevelopment
- The financing of the acquisition of a downtown Toronto site for a proposed 52 storey condominium
- The acquisition by a sovereign wealth fund of equity in a Canadian solar energy company
- The purchase from 17 vendors of all of the shares of a major Canadian customs broker
- The sale of shares of a large nursing services corporation
- The acquisition, redevelopment, refinancing and sale of Ancroft Place, a historically designated condominium townhouse project in Rosedale
- The conversion of three adjoining apartment buildings in central Toronto to condominium status
- The conversion of a multi-residential apartment complex in Brampton to condominium status
- The conversion of an older multi-unit industrial building to condominium status
- The sale of a $50 million apartment portfolio
Lorne is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada and a former member of the executive of the Real Estate Section of the Canadian Bar Association (Ontario).